Thursday, March 11, 2010

Why?

"It is significant that the reasons are not spelled out. This is because in the choices we face and the partings we are often led to make, God quite frequently does not spell out his reasoning. We may be able to guess why he is doing it. We may be right or wrong. But God does not say why he is doing it. He just wants us to trust him." --Dr. James Montgomery Boice
When I was a little girl my family bought me a t-shirt that said something like, "Why is the sky blue, Why is the grass green, Why, Why, Why, Why, Why?". Hmmmm...was that saying something about the kind of kid I was? Now I'm an adult and I can't say that I've stopped asking "why?". There is nothing wrong with desiring information, but sometimes the answer is "I don't know." Sometimes there is no good answer. Why do bad things happen? Why, why, why, why, why? I'll tell you right now that I don't know. How can we?

I do believe that God has a plan and if he has "allowed" something to happen that there is a divine purpose in it happening and I DON'T have to know what it is. It's not for me to worry about. The control freak in me wants to know why. I want to have all of the answers (so I can be prepared). But seriously, what good would come from having all the answers? Sometimes it's better to NOT know. And if you did know, would it change anything?
"You must give up your right to decide what is good and evil on your own terms. To do that you must know (God) enough to trust (Him) and learn to rest in (His) inherent goodness" (pg 136 THE SHACK by William P. Young).
Trusting God means we don't always have to have the answers. Trust means having confidence in God and His goodness, giving whatever it is into His care (surrender). Trust means I am NOT in control of this, He is.

I believe in the rest of the story
I believe there's still ink in the pen
I have wasted my very last day
Trying to change what happened way back when
I believe it's the human condition
We all need to have answers to why
More than ever, I'm ready to say that I
Will still sleep peacefully
With answers out of reach from me until?
Someday all that's crazy
All that's unexplained
Will fall into place
And someday all that's hazy
Through a clouded glass
Will be clear at last
And sometimes we're just waiting
For someday

"SOMEDAY" by Nichole Nordman

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautifully written Christy. How true. If I could just live within that biblical truth each and day. I wonder...

Unknown said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Carolyn! I'm not writing about something I don't struggle with myself. Nice to know we're not alone! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails