Friday, September 9, 2011

A Nudge and a Song

A couple years ago I wrote a post entitled "Nothing Better Than A Good Book" and it's been awhile since something has been "good enough" to inspire a blog post about it.

The surprise of my summer reading came after I read, "The Reluctant Prophet". Written by Nancy Rue (co-writer of the Sullivan Crisp novels, "Healing Stones", "Healing Waters", and "Healing Sands") there is not much I dare say about the storyline (because I don't want to ruin it for you). It twists and turns and blossoms into something you may not expect. And it gently taps you on the shoulder, reminding you how intricately involved God is in each moment of our lives. How He often asks us to do things that don't make sense to us at the time, but if we follow His leading, He will do much more then we ever imagined. The main character was real to me, funny, questioning, and impulsive. I liked her because I could relate to her. The storyline isn't contrived, nor is it meant to guilt you into "service". Instead it encourages you to be aware of the nudges in your own life, believing that God has a great purpose for each one of us.

The back of the book describes the story in this way: "It's a total surprise when 40-something Allison Chamberlain feels a divine nudge to buy a Harley motorcycle and go wherever it takes her. Soon she finds herself in the darkest corners of society, experiencing the heartache of the poor. Will she discover that healing comes through the voice of God and those who follow it?"

To my delight, "The Reluctant Prophet" has a Part 2 coming out on September 24th called "Unexpected Dismounts". I hope you will consider reading this thought-provoking, inspiring work of fiction.

My second suggestion is music. We are always listening to something around here! I have written about my love for good, female singers before in my post "Song In My Heart". I would like to formally add Audrey Assad to that list of female artists.

I first heard Audrey Assad when I was randomly clicking on artists in iTunes one day. I liked her the moment I heard her. Her album, "The House Your Building" has become a fast favorite. My husband and I have also had the opportunity to see her in concert. She is a very humble, but extremely talented songwriter and singer. Her songs are from the heart and full of Truth. She seems to be making a name for herself these days and will be touring with another of my favorites, Sara Groves, this fall. I hope you'll give her a listen!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails